I think MLA Format was developed by people looking to do as little work as possible
- President of MLA or whatever: Okay so this will be the professional format all papers are to be written.
- President: All papers will be double-spaced
- President: And on the first page you will put your name, your college class, your professor's name, the date you pretended you started your essay on, as well as the paper's name. All on separate lines.
- President: Now that you've eaten up half of your first page, add a header with your last name and the page number
- President: Now take all the margins and increase them to one inch.
- President: Feel free to use as many long quotes as you want, because you need to directly cite references
- President: If your quote is longer than four lines, create a new mini-paragraph for it and indent every line so that it takes up even more space.
- President: You're welcome, college students.